Sunday, November 04, 2007

Money

It’s so very strange – how a single conversation can make you think deeply. Today, a very old friend of mine called me. It’s been months since we had spoken with each other. We spoke about everything under the son. Slowly the topic turned over the topic of money. My friend is of the opinion that I don't understand the value of money. This got me thinking.

I have never been a very shrewd person when it comes to money matters. I am very simple and have pretty simple needs. And do not attach much importance to money. I do not invest much nor do I spend much. When I see people accumulating money, adopting unethical means to get a few extra bucks I have fell its rubbish.

Very soon my good old friend and I got into a friendly argument. He was of the opinion that today I do not realize the importance of money. But, tomorrow when I get married and have kids to take care of, I will repent for not having invested wisely now. He was of the opinion that I should not keep the money in my account, but, I should make it work for me, by investing in business, shares etc. Only money begets money. He was also of the opinion that we should not work “hard”. We should work smart (what ever that means). Also using a little unethical means (like producing wrong pay slips in interviews) is OK if it fetches you some additional money. I dismissed all his arguments as being too much inclined towards greed. He was adamant that if not today, I will definitely understand that he is right and I am wrong.

I thought over it hard. I do not think Money begets money. I think Money is just a byproduct of hard work and sincerity. I also believe that unethical means of earning money will not take you too far. I don't know how, but I think being unethical will not do well for you in the long run. And I also “feel” that God, in his very own way takes care of every need of a human in a very unique way. He opens he right doors at the right time. When I get married and have kids, I am sure I will be able to do my best even if I am not greedy or unethical today.

These are my beliefs. I do not know how correct they are in today’s Kalyug. Yes, my Good old friend might be correct. Yes, I might realize that I was not right. But till then I am happy I stick to my beliefs :-)


2 comments:

a traveller said...

I'm one of the stingiest persons in my acquaintance. I hate shopping, especially for clothes. My idea of buying things is knowing exactly what I need, and picking up just that. Which doesn't always work out, granted, especially since my idea of comfort doesn't exactly tie in the current trends of the day, but never mind that.

So yes, I end up saving money a fair amount. This attitude is partly because we were brought up in a way wherein, while always having got whatever we needed and often what we wanted, my brother and I were always made to realize how hard my dad works to earn that money. And that you never know what could happen tomorrow.

Of course, this is me talking when I'm still living at home and dependent on my parents... let's see what happens if and when I move out!

datta said...

good blog strictly speaking about Mr.Susheels basic character.Not sure whether your soliloques referred an old friend was ......