Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Siddhartha to Buddha - Journey of a young man

Remember I told you that recently I brought a few books t read? Presently I am reading the book “Buddha – a story of enlightenment” by Deepak chopra. It's a very good book and truly a page turner. I am happy I purchased that book.

I have always been attracted to Buddha and his teachings. In fact I still remember the first book I read on Buddha’s teachings when I was in 12th. His teachings are simple, practical and scholarly. It now feels good to read about how Siddhartha – the prince renounced everything and became a God.

Siddhartha was, like any one of us, a mortal when he was born. I am sure he felt all the emotions that we feel as humans. I am sure he was not a god from the word go. Definitely he might have had all the shortcomings that we have as humans as well. But then, what is it that made Siddhartha, a mere mortal to be included into the ranks of the god?

I think the reason why Siddhartha became Buddha was because he listened to his heart. He had the entire world at his feet. He was prince of a state. He was having riches that any of us would give our life to have. He was destined to be a great worrier to rule over the four corners of the world. But he renounced all that. And his renouncement was that of a highest kind. What’s the meaning of renouncing wealth if you are beggar? What’s the meaning of renouncing if you are already old and about to die? What’s the meaning of renouncing if you don't of anyone who cares about you?

Siddhartha was bold enough to leave his wealth, crown and family members at a very young age and walk into the realm of the unknown. He followed his heart and set on a journey to find his destiny. It just takes a split second to think how difficult and courageous a decision he took at that young age.

No, I am not a Buddhist. No, I don't plan to become a Buddhist in near future. But what I do like is a young man’s journey to know himself. I do like a person who fights against all odds to find his destiny. I do like a person who becomes a god from human with sheer will power. I do like a person who has nothing in his heart but love for his fellow creatures. I do like Buddha as a person. His life inspires me.

Through this Book I intend to walk with Buddha on his journey for enlightenment. I intend to at lest make a feeble attempt to know his joys, fears, loss and triumphs. Don’t worry! I will keep you posted about anything beautiful that I come across :-)

1 comment:

Susheel said...

I think Siddharta became Buddha with the help of technique he invented i.e. Mindfulness. It helps everybody to become wiser, a person of balanced intellect and emotions.
From another Susheel