Thursday, October 04, 2007

Karma - Nah....!!!!!

I was a Kid when I first heard about the concept of Karma. This has always intrigued me, fascinated me and more often then not, made me think.

Does a something like karma really exist? Is it true that whatever is happening to me is because of my past actions? Is there truly a master accountant sitting somewhere above high in the skies and keeping a tab on each and everything I do? And after I am "die", I go to that accountant for performance appraisal and depending on my performance, I am either awarded or punished in my "next life".

True or otherwise, I have always disliked this concept. It makes you feel like a puppet. And sometimes I also feel that it was a concept developed by some pundit to give reasons for things which seemingly were wrong and nobody wanted to own responsibility (like a person dying young, a good person facing hardship, young kids being murdered etc...). I am strongly of the opinion that this is a cooked up story - a make believe concept to make you feel that everything is ok. God can never be an accountant, keeping tab on me.

In comparison to this I like the concept that I am in charge of what is happening to me. If I desire for something so much that it pours out from every part of my being, then the entire universe will conspire with me to help me get to that desire. I think getting punished in this life due to some bad things that I did in my previous life (which I don’t even remember) is not the way God works. What I feel is maybe God wants us to live this life as a traveler. Always exploring, searching, knowing, realizing and improving. Life is not a series of predetermined sequence, but a series of choices that God gives on our way. We are then to make our own choices and these choices will decide how our story ends. In short, God has laid out the entire life in front of us, complete with all the choices and the different endings each choice will have. He then involves us in this game of life interactively and tells us "Son, you decide how you want this story to end".

As compared to the Karma concept, the above concept is more logical, more "God like". Yes of course, there still will be a lot of questions that remain unanswered. Why then God wants us to suffer (I don’t know if I am using the right word)? Why we face so many heart breaks in this Journey? Why is it so difficult to find a soul mate, who will travel the road with you? The list seems endless...

But nonetheless, maybe God does not want us to know the answer when we set out on this journey. Maybe he does not want to spoil the fun and suspense. Moreover if I knew everything, wouldn’t I be GOD???? :-)

1 comment:

Christy said...

Thanks for reading and posting on my photo blog! I hope you've been enjoying it and it brings happiness to your days. I've enjoyed perusing your reflections as well -- quite philosophic!